Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Weekend Getaways for European Study Abroad Students

When studying abroad, exploring is natural and expected. Exploring the campus and the surrounding cities is an obvious must, but extra travel is affordable, easy to-do, and can add a variety of valuable experiences to your trip. At my university, three classes a week/once a week is standard. So, by scheduling my classes on Monday and Wednesday, I was able to have a four-day weekend for my entire stay. So, if you have an open schedule, you should take advantage of it. Here are my tips to getting the most out of your study abroad experience by travelling the world. 

First, you need to consider these two travel experiences: travelling like a tourist and living like a local. I think the best travel experiences are a balanced blend of both. Once you have determined your travel type, you can plan your trip. For example, when I visited Barcelona I knew that I wanted to visit Park Güell but I also wanted to eat tapas and sample sangria. So, I picked a day that I would visit the park and then left my meals unplanned so that I could ask locals where their favorite places to eat were. I was able to get the best of both worlds. 

An authentic brick oven pizza shop in Florence recommended by a student living in Italy. It was packed with so many locals that there was hardly room to stand.
Now, travelling can be expensive, but it is generally much cheaper in Europe than in the United States. As far as booking your travel, there are several websites that will help you find the cheapest fares and discounts. One of my favorites is  Student Universe. With a valid student email address, you can get special discounts on flights, hotels, and hostels. Here I was able to get hostels as low as €8 a night that included breakfast. 

Hostels are the best way to save money and meet new people while travelling. A hostel is a like a stripped-down hotel. There are several beds in one room (though you can usually pay a little more money if you want less beds in the room). Sheets are generally provided, but you will need to bring your own toiletries and other add-ons like towels and blankets. Lockers are usually provided, though most times you will need to bring your own lock. Always be sure to double-check what is and isn't included in your stay because every hostel is different. Hostelworld is another site that I've used that offers affordable accommodation. 
Some essentials you might want to consider bringing: a water bottle, entertainment (cards, books, etc.), and travel friendly toiletries. 

As far as flights, Google Flights is one of the best search engines because it will show you the price drops within three days of your travel. So, if you have a flexible schedule, you can get some amazing prices on discount airlines. For example, I have a roundtrip flight booked for Portugal that only cost €40. I couldn't get from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia with that price, and those cities are in the same state!
Me at the famous dome in Florence. I wore these jeans and boots for every day of that trip!
Finally, for packing just remember these two words: pack light. For a weekend getaway, a carryon will generally suffice. Most airlines will allow a carryon and a smaller personal item, so it's pretty easy to avoid paying for a checked bag. A sample of what I brought with me to Florence last weekend was this: 
  • Two sweaters
  • Hoodie 
  • Lightweight rain-jacket
  • Scarf
  • Pair of jeans 
  • Comfortable boots 
  • Long-sleeved t-shirt 
  • Sleeping shorts
  • Socks & underwear 
  • Laptop & charger 
  • Travel adapter 
  • Toiletries and minimal makeup
  • Bathing suit 
  • Small purse
  • Water bottle
I only brought my laptop because we had a six-hour layover in Amsterdam and I had a paper due the day after I got back. But, if I didn't bring the laptop, then I would've had room for at least one more outfit. The thing to remember is that clothes like jeans and chunky sweaters can be worn several times before they need washed. This is a personal preference, of course, but it'll save you space and weight. 


The benefit of using a backpack is that if you book a later flight home, then you can still explore the city without being weighed down with a suitcase. The above picture shows how much smaller my backpack is compared to my standard sized carryon. 

I hope that gave you guys some good tips on weekend getaways. Let me know if you plan on studying abroad or where you would like to go! 


Best, 

Kim 



1 comment:

  1. Superb explanation & it's too clear to understand the concept as well, keep sharing admin with some updated information with right examples.Keep update more posts.

    Study in USA Consultants in Chennai
    Overseas Education Consultants in Chennai
    Australia education Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete